Monday, September 21, 2009

Romance

She was the most beautiful girl in the clap clinic
The first time I saw her I thought
She has been unlucky
She was the most beautiful girl in the clinic
The second time I saw her
that she had been careless
The most beautiful girl in the clinic
The third time
that she was promiscuous or worse
The girl in the clap clinic.

She was the most beautiful girl in the clap clinic
The fourth time I saw her

she was wearing a white coat
I thought
Stupid me, she is a doctor.


I approached her then and said

Doctor
You are the most beautiful girl in the clap clinic.

She replied:
I’m not a doctor
I’m unlucky
I’m careless
I’m promiscuous or worse.
But I feel that is about to change.


We left the clinic hand in hand

Separated by the thickness of a surgical glove.



Later, much later as we lay
Her head on my chest her hair in my face
the scent of hibiscrub filling the white room.
I said I love you
And she said don’t love me
I am unlucky
I an careless
I am promiscuous or worse

And nothing has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment