Monday, September 7, 2009

Stans song

I want to tell you about Charlie.

Diamond geezer Charlie, salt of the earth, my best mate
Do anything for me Charlie. And he did
I thought at first of making this an Haiku but I couldn’t keep it brief enough, not even when I was dying for a piss or writing standing up like Hemingway who always wrote standing up which kept his stuff to the point, terse even… He’d be dying to have a sit down but had to write something first so he kept it short and then he could have his sit down and perhaps stroke the cat that ate avocados in the Cuban sun.
Charlie is doing life now
In a way he gave his life for me
We are all doing life one way or another Charlie would say when I visited him
Except I’m doing it easier than most
The sonnet was another possibility but just that little bit too gay. Know what I mean. Not that I’m not in touch with my feminine side and all that, my inner woman is called Michelle and she is a fucking slut who wouldn’t know a sonnet if you shoved one up her jacksie.
Charlie is doing life for taking a life
I watched him take that life
And while he took it his eyes said:
Here’s your life back Stan
You are free
Free verse seemed apt… Freebird, I loved that song, still do, Lennerd Skynerd what a tragedy eh! Freebird, that’s a cracking oxymoron.
Charlie stabbed my nagging wife
In the heart with the butcher’s knife he called slick.
She was dissing me he said
Stan. Now you are free. He said
He wiped the blade as carefully as Shakespeare might have wiped his favourite quill then drove himself to Paddington green and put his hands up. Give me somewhere to stand and I will carry the weight of your world Stan, he once said... Archimedes was not lost on Charlie. But he often misquoted him.
Diamond geezer Charlie, salt of the earth, my best mate
Do anything for me Charlie…
And he did.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment